Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Why the switch to physical therapy?

I worked in specialty retail for 7 years, mainly small shop operations like a museum, a sports organization and then a catalog. I never worked in a large organization like Macy's. I hear its nice place but it was not really an option for me. I liked helping vendors, designers and clients interpret their vision into viable money making ideas, in a sense, my job was creative. However, this was only 5% of my time. The rest of the time I toiled with excel spreadsheets, wrote contracts and dealt with invoices. Unfortunately, this is the part of the job that I was never really good at and didn't particularly like.

After 2 years at every job, I was unhappy. I would work obscene hours for all my employers and they would value my work. On the most part, I worked with good people so my environment was fine. But I didn't like the idea of spending the rest of my life behind my computer for 10-12 hours a day for someone else that was not my family. I started to daydream about what else I could do for work.

It was not a person but a yahoo article that inspired me to look into physical therapy. I think the headline said something about paying careers with a good outlook. It was an article that was sensitive to the hard financial times. Since this is not an interview, I feel the need to be honest that my inspiration came from an online article that I read after I closed my yahoomail. This is not what I say to people when they asked why the big switch because it sounds flaky. But it's the truth. Inspiration comes in weird ways. However, I read this article shortly after and liked what it had to say.

I think this was a good attempt at a first post. Hopefully, I won't wait a year to get to the more helpful info like applying to schools in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment