Monday, February 3, 2014

Peds Tip #1: Transitioning


I started my Peds affiliation about 8 weeks ago. I have never worked with kids previous to this experience. I don't even have kids in my immediate family. So this affiliation is minding blowing to me. Working with kids is completely different than working with adults! I learned a few key lessons early on.

Transitioning. My peds professor imparted this very important concept to me when I visited her. She said kids have trouble transitioning…going from mom in the waiting room to OT then to Speech therapy then to PT, then back to mom. So its important that when you are 10 minutes from ending your session, that you count down. "In 10 minutes, we will be finishing up and going to mommy. In 5 minutes…1 minute…." It eases the transition and manages the child's expectations. I used this advice immediately (and continue to do so) and I can definitely see the difference on how the kids exit the clinic.

Picture from My Aspergers Child. Interesting post on how to handle/prevent tantrums in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment