Monday, May 12, 2014

Motion is lotion.



My professor,  Dr. M uses these one-liners in class to remind us about concepts that we learned. My class dedicated a t-shirt to his -isms. In turn, I have passed on his wisdom to my patients in acute care and outpatient because it makes them laugh while reminding them what they need to do when they leave the clinic.

'Motion is lotion' is my favorite line. FAVORITE LINE. Dr. M uses it in reference to joint mobs similar to how its written in this blog article.

I use it for patients with low back pain. Current evidence suggest minimizing bed rest and staying functional. I tell my patients keep moving to get grease between the wheels esp the ones that sit in bed for extended period of time. Keeps them motivated to do exercises in bed to minimize his/her low back pain.

Artwork done by my very talented classmate, Gisele Andrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment