Monday, September 29, 2014

References



Don't wait for the last minute. In fact, don't wait at all. I am looking for a job and I finally got a break. Someone asked me for references. They asked me for 5 of them in 24 hours!

I squirmed, called, emailed my closest, former work colleagues. I thank my lucky stars my references are good friends [and a very good professor who will hopefully be my good friend one day] but some of them, we haven't spoken in a year!

I couldn't reach some of my key references because it was summer and people were out. I lost out.

Lesson learned. Keep in touch and ask people to be references well in advance. Let it be the conversation you have before you finish clinic and follow up with that very nice 'thank you' card.

Picture from the muse. And a nice article on the right (and wrong) way to ask for a reference! 

No comments:

Post a Comment