Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Manners Matter and so does Spelling and Grammar!



When I was a retail buyer in 2008, I had to hire 2-3 assistants for my company. I got hundreds of resumes a day through email. It was also the year that the economy tanked. It was a part-time job filtering through those resumes on top of my regular job. I don't have an HR experience. How am I supposed to figure out what the ideal candidate looks like on paper ?! 

My boss helped me tremendously. She said if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes in the email, cover letter or resume, reject it. Simply as that. She said that's the person that is going to be representing our company. Would you send in a resume or cover letter with spelling or grammar mistakes [add glaring look]? With that simple criteria, I was able to cut the submission load by half, maybe more. 

Manners matter. Spelling and Grammar Matter. Watch what you send to people. Most programs have a spell check. USE IT! 

Picture from FYIHigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment