Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Nursing Home Internship



I never got a chance to write about it but....I got into PT with geriatrics in mind as my end goal. My dad and stepmom are seniors and they were the ones who got me interest in physical therapy for the elderly. They both received therapy and talked very positively about the profession. Then I volunteered at a extended care facility that catered to the senior community and I was sold. I knew my clinical rotation at the subacute facility would either solidify thoughts or remind me that it is very different to observe a profession than to do the work in the profession. So far......


So good. I really love the company of people that are in their 60s-70s-80s-and 90s and 100's! Its crazy to be in the company of someone with so much history! Love talking about old NYC and Queens. How people from their generation used to fall in love, develop relationships with their family, the war, recreation and work. My supervising therapist said the best thing that I have to totally agree with. When working with the elderly - you are really helping them with life. Being able to maintain independence and dignity in your golden years is very difficult as your body begins to deteriorate. I really feel like I'm helping people when I get them to walk, stand up, sit down, manage stairs, move from bed <--> to chair/wheelchair with as little help as possible. Hope this feeling lasts.

Picture from thinkprogress.org

No comments:

Post a Comment