Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Second clinical internship


I started my second clinical internship at a nursing home/subacute rehab center. I will here for 9 weeks. On the first week, I almost broke down in tears. Saddest thing - I have the coolest and informative CI, a comfortable schedule from 8-4, a great supervisors that guides me with my treatment, and some pretty awesome coworkers and students alongside with me. But I was plagued with this fear everyday that I was supposed to know how to act in front of the nurses, doctors, other therapists, how to do a perfect exam, diagnosis, etc and that I should be able to treat 50% or more of a full time PT workload. Stupid APTA guidelines. I felt like I wasn't doing enough. I nearly passed out while listening to my CI because I was so overwhelmed by all the things that I thought I had to be doing perfect.


By the third week, I got the hang of things. I kinda ignored my weekly progress notes until the 3rd week because I couldn't bear with the thought of being told that I suck. But I bit the bullet this week and wrote about my 'concerns'. My CI's response on my weekly progress report....'student has high expectations for herself compared to most students which makes her feel overwhelmed. Just focus on basics, it will get easier as student get familiarized with all the forms.' FINE, I am drama queen. Maybe things aren't that bad. Her note made me feel better.

Picture from wired.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment