Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Popliteal Pulse


Finding the Popliteal pulse is hard work. Patient or classmate is sitting in supine with the knee bent. I'm searching and searching their Popliteal space behind their knee. First I hear that its more medial and when I can't find it, I'm palpating laterally. Not getting the best feedback from my professors or assistant professors. A whole semester goes by and I still have not felt the Popliteal pulse. Its like searching for gold.


Then in my clinical decision making class, this professor watched my class as we felt around with a lost look on our faces and said to us.... its because you're not deep enough. You need to grab the knee from both sides and push [your beautiful trimmed] fingers [from both hands together] into the center of the space. Let's just say, don't be surprised when you find out this pulse is A LOT deeper than you think.

Picture from University of Glasgow.


No comments:

Post a Comment